A few days ago, Microsoft announced the new Microsoft Certified: Cybersecurity Architect Expert (SC-100) certification. So naturally, we at Not Bad Security are excited about it! However, we have seen that there haven’t been any official certification ways to represent architecture skills in the Microsoft security stack area in the past.
Previous certifications have been great for specific areas requiring knowledge about the particular subject, but a higher-level certificate has been missing.
The previously released security certifications are:
- AZ-500 – Microsoft Certified: Azure Security Engineer Associate
- SC-200 – Microsoft Certified: Security Operations Analyst Associate
- SC-300 – Microsoft Certified: Identity and Access Administrator Associate
- MS-500 – Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate
You have to pass one of these in addition to the new SC-100 certification to achieve the Cybersecurity Architect Expert recognition.
We have been looking into the new certification subject and materials (yet limited). It seems that Microsoft has now taken a more architecture-based approach, which is still relatively rare in any Microsoft certification. This new certification challenges us in the following areas:
- Design a Zero Trust strategy and architecture
- Evaluate Governance Risk Compliance (GRC) technical strategies and security operations strategies
- Design security for infrastructure
- Design a strategy for data and applications
This certification looks interesting, and these are the things that actually many customers are looking after instead of deploying single components. Hopefully, we will see lots of SC-100 certified architects soon because demand for this kind of knowledge is vast at the moment. Additionally, we are hopeful that there will not be any specific parameters asked in this certification, as they don’t require architectural wisdom 🙂
Jussi and I will aim to take the exam in beta during the April-May timeframe. Then, hopefully, we can announce that we are certified and provide our thoughts about the certification!
For more information on MCCAE (SC-100) certification: Coming soon: Cybersecurity Architect Expert – Microsoft Tech Community